Monday 1 August 2011

New York New York!

Here I am! right now it's 8am and I'm in my hostel. Today I'm planning on getting some fruit from a shop I've been told about then heading off to finds some girls on my trek then do a bus tour and the staton island ferry!

Yesterday I was awake for about 24 hours and I was exhausted and in all honesty I cried quite a lot. The plane journey was the easy part, leaving heathrow at 9am and just watching movies and eating the surprisingly good plane meals. But when we landed and I got off tears just started falling. It dawned on me how far away from home I was and by myself. It took an hour to get out of the airport then I took an hour to change into my shorts and flip-flops and re-organise my bag in a tiny bathroom. I turned on my phone and it made me cry again to get goodbye messages and a phone call from my mum. But eventually I bucked up, found the air trian and got a ticket to NY penn station. To save on subway money and see some sights I walked 28 blocks with alllll my gear to my hostel at Columbus Circle. It was hot and sweaty and the first thing I needed when I got here was a shower! And for someone who never gets blisters, I now have four. And tips on what to do?? My feet feel better this morning but they won't get much rest today.
I slept in a 6 bed female dorm and I've introduced myself to 3 of the girls and they're really nice. Had to sleep with eye cover and earplugs because everyone comes in at different times and the aircon  is really noisy.

Hopefully from here on in I can keep it together and enjoy myself! It's beautiful weather and I don't have long here so wish me luck.

all my love to you back home and the Mr. in Italy this week
Josie xxxxx

2 comments:

  1. helloooooo
    Glad your having a good time so far!!!! right big sister head on and experienced traveller!
    1st blisters: invest in a travelers set needle and thread set (always handy) with the needle peirce the blister gentle and release all the fluid, dab with a tissue and leave. The old skin protects the new till its ready then it just drops off.
    2nd: I would rethink sleeping with all that on. Seeing as your pretty much blind anyway the eye mask won't hurt but best to keep your ears clear to avoid a) infection (you dont want to be popping to the doctors overseas if you can avoid it) b) you need to be able to hear anyone nicking your things and/or crazy people trying to set fire to things!!!!!

    lots of love

    xxxxxx

    p.s Man up, at least your in a country that speaks your language, enjoy everything, say no to nothing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Josie

    LoL to amy's comment above ... man up but don't dwell on crying and think your weak it's exactly what I did in Moldova, Hannah in SA and Rach in Aus so therefore you are normal!!! its a big thing that's just hit you but your going to have such an awesome time!! Goi and have awesome adventures im looking forward to reading about them.

    Love and Prayers Kate xxxx

    ReplyDelete