Saturday 20 August 2011

Half way!

Tomorrow, which you're already in being 8 hours ahead. I will have been in the U.S for 3 weeks already. Halfway gone!
In that time my trek has travelled from coast to coast, New York - San Francisco...

After my last entry we met the group and went for dinner at a local brewery then most folk headed home for an early night but I stayed out to see the town and have drink with Anna, Nicola and Christian. First we went to a tavern in the main square where we were obviously the youngest people by about 20 years then went to the famous Million Dollar Cowboy Bar where they have saddles for bar stools and animal heads on the walls. It was a great night and when we asked for a photo with a 'real' cowboy he turned out to be a paparazzi from Brighton staking out Sandra Bullock a few miles away!! So no photos with a genunie cowboy. Although our horseriding guide who took our group shot was one I suppose.

The next morning we packed up camp as usual and Dan had made us pancakes!! Treat!
We drove on to a place called Nat Soo Pah where we spent the night in the middle of nowhere because the drive between Jackson and Lake Tahoe was too long to do in one go. But Nat Soo Pah had its perks - like the pool and spa filled with natural water from the surrounding hot springs. My back muscles keep tensing up a litte with sleeping on the floor and sitting for so long in the van so I was in the hot pool twice once before dinner then after! Also saw a stunning sunset. Anna and I just walked down to get some photos and ended up sitting on the road that winded off into the distance and chatted as we watched the sun go down the the sky turn orange over the fields and big yellow daisies.

Next morning was an early start at 5am so we also saw the sunrise - although I was more or less asleep on the bus by then. It was a long 10 hour drive to Lake Tahoe but we had to be there on time for the sunset cruise. Watches had to go back another hour as we hit California time about 2.30. Tents up and gear sorted most of us hit the beautiful little beach by the lake. It was hot, lovely and the water was clear. The resort we were in seemed like a popular holiday spot for Californian folk as it's not too far away but still feels it. One of the guys hired a jetski so Sarah and I jumped at the chance for a go! It was so funny, but really hard to steer with 3 people on! I had to get back after to cook dinner with our Aussie Kelly who turned 22 the next day!
We ate fast then Nicola and the boys hit the sunset cruise. Everyone else showered, did washing, chased chipmunks away from our tents, watched sunset at the beach then came back to find some very giggily trekkers back from their cruise. Priceless entertainment with guess the song! then finally bed!

Wednesday saw us setting out for Yosemite National Park, another of the 3 crown jewels of americas national parks (the other two being Yellowstone and Grand Canyon). As expected, it was stunning. Before heading out of the park to find camp we did a quick trail down to the Giant Sequoia trees. Some have been there for over 2000 years! the look like something out of Avatar. And oddly fire is good for them, they're really resistant to it and it helps their sapplings thrive whilst other foliage is cleared away so controlled fires take place around them sometimes. We found a fallen one which had been hollowed out so we could creep/crawl through to the light at the end of the tunnal! Another over burned one had an arch cut through that we could walk under. That was only the first highlight of Yosemite.
We saw two other Trek America vans after we parked and then another Trek set up camp right next to us so we were able to chare stories and tips. Belle and I also stayed up while everyone got wifi at the lodge and wrote a Trek America, Northern Trail song with the uke about all our campers which we eventually played for them on the bus, no doubt it will end up on youtube some how.
But the next day was my biggest achievment so far. The main hike option was difficult and we were told to carry loads of water and food for about 6/7 hour round trip, or we could just shuttle around the park and see the village etc. Only the boys were up for the hike so I spoke to them about me tagging along, that I might slow them down and struggle etc but thankfully they were all really supportive so the next day I had to pack my man size lunch and set off with Simon, Han, Christian and our trek leader Dan. Dan wasn't going to stick around for the whole hike but thankfully he stayed with me and was hugely supportive. The original route we were going to take was partly closed due to divers in the water. Sadly two people were swept off one of the waterfalls a few weeks ago because they climbed over the railing for a photo and the bodies are yet to be found. It gave me a huge respect for the trails and falls as we re-routed and ended up doing a big figure of eight. The lads easily marched ahead of me and on the really steep parts I struggled with a bit of asthma and had to stop but Dan stuck with me and kept encouraging. I would have given up and let the boys storm ahead if he hadn't been there. But once  I'd seen one water fall I couln't leave it and we kept reassesing at each break to see if I could just make the next bit and the next and by the time the last climb came to the stop of Navada falls I'd come too far not to complete it! It was an amazing veiw and just So satisfying to have done. I had great signal at the top so gave Jimmy a call - first time we've spoken since I've left! Loved hearing his voice and all about home while he googled where I was standing!!
The hike back was so much easier and I got to chat to Dan about where he's travelled and where else we want to go. By the time we hit the village again I watched  a cheesy kids play by myself where I learned some Yosemite history then grabbed an ice cream and met everyone for pizza. I crashed at dinner, it was effort to eat. My legs were just gone. Back at camp I was more or less marched to the shower and had to scrub at the dirt on my ankles and feet to a while to get them clean!! Needless to say I slept well, and then most of the way to San Francisco the next day!

Yesterday Dan gave us a driven tour around the city a trip across the Golden Gate Bridge where we saw another trek van and met another leader. Some how Nicola cut her toe as we got photos too so we had an A&E moment in the car park with our two first aiders and trainee doctor!
After checking into our hotel (again, luxury after camping - I only have to share a bathroom with One person!) we all went for dinner in China town and chose an absolute dive. It was the equivilant to a greasy breakfast cafe in England except chinese but naturally - the food was great! Later a few of us found Biscuits & Blues, heard a few songs, had a few drinks and then for some reason went to a 24 hour diner just because we could! So I had pancakes with strawberries and chocolate! We ended up all going to breakfast in another typical diner just down the road this morning.
I spent the rest of the day with Anna as everyone went on the Alcatraze tour. We spent ages at Pier 39, Fishermans Wharf, with the lazy sea lions and endless shops of genius! E.g. the chocolate store, the puppet shop, the left handed store...
Then walked down (well, up a massive hill,) to Lombard street to see all the cars squeezing down the crooked road and then went to one of the best bookshops of my life! It's called City Lights Bookshop and I bought To Kill A Mocking Bird because I've never actually read it. So goodbye to me being social in the van, Josie has a book! Was also strolled through the hippy district of Haight Street then caught a bus back to Union Square where we had fish and chips for $6, yum!

Now I'm back at the hotel by meself as I wasn't feeling well and I've borrowed Dan's laptop. That was a huge entry... oh - and i ripped my jeans so had to replace them and accidently bought a new pair of boots from H&M - I couldn't help it! I miss my heels! need to throw some bits out to fit them in my bag.

This Tuesday we finish the Northern Trail in LA and me and four other girls pick up a new Southern Sun tour and make our way back to NYC, so next week its all change.

Hope you're all well, drop me a line!
All my love
Josie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment