Monday 14 November 2011

Adrenaline Junkies

Since last time we journeyed through Arthers Pass among the snow, saw a few Kea's along the way and arrived for our two night stop in Franz Josef. The Rainforest Resort was full of other tour buses and our cabin was right next to the hot tub where we could hear loads of different languages and accents. About 30 people played killer pool on our first night to win a free bungy or skydive, I didn't do too bad but didn't win! For our whole day mum, Steph and I stayed in the same group for a half day hike up the Franz Josef Glacier with its blue ice! The glacier is always moving each day and every 7 years moves back and forth in size depending on the weather and changing climate, and it sits right on a fault line, a splinter of which caused the Christchurch earthquake. It was really interesting to learn about and how to wear and walk in crampons on the ice. Fortunately no one fell over! Our guide carried his manly pick axe around and casually hacked away steps for us because they have no set route up the ice. He found us an overlap which is were the ice pushes up and creates a dome that we were able to crawl into and be surrounded by clean blue and white ice.
It's pretty hard work to walk around up there so understandably we used our free entry to the hot pools just down the road when we got back before sharing a pizza at the Monsoon bar (when it rains - they pour.) and heading to bed after some fun fun laundry - just cant escape having to do your washing...

Back on the road again the following morning the group had a quick hour walk around Lake Matheson and then the Blue Pools . This was also the day I jumped off the bus a little sleepy and nutted the wing mirror. Tears happened! But I'm fine.
Our evening was spent in Makarora with no signal as we were completely surrounded by snow capped mountains in our little triangle cabins that looked a bit like metal teepee's! Included dinner was great that night and more international pool games.

More beautiful lake and mountain photo stops on our way to Queenstown as well as a stop off at Puzzle World! Lots of puzzles, illusions and mazes to be played with! Then a two hour lunch by the lake to take it easy in the sunshine.
The afternoon bought us just outside Queenstown to the original A J Hackett Bungy site, 43m Kawarau Bridge. I'd sort of talked myself out of it before we got there from fear and money! Mum isn't allowed do bungy on doctors orders so I felt no pressure. But when some of our group started to join the queue and I saw others jumping I had to join too! Out whole group was able to stay and watch and cheer us on as we got kitted out on the bridge. One by one our legs were wrapped and attached to the bungy then we were walked to the edge. I tried to distract myself while I waited and just wanted to be calm enough for the one second it takes to let yourself drop! Thankfully I didn't freak out too much, just posed for my photos in a very goofy manner then heard '3,2,1 -bungy!' and I closed my eyes for a moment to fall then jumped!! I screamed, obviously. But you can be the judge of the jump when I get home and upload the video and photos onto FB.  It was the most freeing felling as I fell and the river rushed to meet me!! I'd do it again in a second even though it would be scary all over again!
9 people in the group ended up jumping and we were really proud of each other.The buzz lasted about an hour before I crashed! Had to buck up after we checked in, shower quick and get back to for dinner in Queenstown with some of the others! Mum and I joined them all in trying a famous Fergburger! I went for a Tropical Swine and I think mum just went for a classic Fergburger. I cant exaggerate enough that these burgers were HUGE. It easily covered my face, and needless to say I was put to shame by not being able to finish it!! Woz then took us on a delightful walking tour to the best ice cream shop, sweetshop and bars. We headed to Altitude bar and bumped into another tour bus then went to the World Bar where you can order a cocktail to drink out of a teapot! It was a bit '60 million postcards' but quirkier and better music! I stayed and danced for two hours after mum went home. Big lie in the next day!!
More adrenaline in the afternoon after Mum and I were picked up for a 4x4 Lord of the Rings tour where we were driven up to see where scenes where filmed around the town and through a river a couple of times for the shot where the 9 wraiths gallop down the river away from the tidal wave. 7 of the 9 riders were actually woman from the area!
Quick refreshments served on the jeep bonnet and then a drop of to the Shotoverjet boat which shot us down the river at alarming speeds and soaked us on each 360 turn. Mum and I shouted a-lot! If you're ever in town, do it!!
Then last night played out similar to the night before except we started in the Cowboy bar and all rode the bull then went and danced again at World bar. Today we have been to the bird sanctuary and now here! Need to get back for dinner now!!!

Love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment